Denver is located in the South Platte Valley in Colorado. It is the capital, and the most populous city in the State. Denver is ranked as a Beta world city by the Globalization and World Cities Research Network. This makes it one of the major economic hub in the country and world. Known as “The Mile-High City”, Denver sits at an altitude of 1,600 m above sea level. Read on to know the best places to find rooms for rent in Denver Colorado.
Getting to know Denver
Denver is named after James W. Denver, a governor of the Kansas Territory. The City follows the Mountain Time Zone and the longitudinal reference for it passing directly through Denver Union Station. It is also the 19th most populous city in the country with a population of over 600,000. Denver’s topography consists of plains in the city centre with hills to the North, West, and South. Humid continental and subtropical climates are found here with warm to hot summers and cold winters. With its status as a major economic hub, it makes sense to live here if you’re a working professional. Here is how you can find rooms for rent in Denver Colorado in the best neighborhoods.
Finding rooms for rent in Denver
Neighborhoods in Denver can vary from skyscrapers to suburban homes. Denver is divided into about 78 official neighborhoods with more unofficial ones. These neighborhoods are not officially divided into ‘areas’ but are unofficially categorized as North, South, East, and West. Denver is also a fast-growing city with many areas turning into metropolitan hubs. Here are some of the best places to check out of you are looking for rooms for rent in Denver Colorado.
Top Neighborhoods in Denver
There are many options to suit you whether it is a home in the suburb or basement for rent in Denver you’re looking for. With most neighborhoods having a rich culture of its own, you will always have something unique. These are a few of the places to consider if you are finding a room for rent in Denver Colorado.
- Five Points: One of the oldest neighborhoods in Denver, Five Points is a cultural melting pot with a vibrant environment. It is also home to many coffeehouses, craft breweries, and hip options for dining. Also a hub of jazz music, it is a great place to find rooms for rent in Denver Colorado.
- Littleton: With its proximity to downtown, you can find a cheap basement for rent with kitchen in Denver here. Littleton has a unique charm with its building and shops from the previous century. You will also find many galleries featuring local artists and local shops.
- East Colfax: Colfax Avenue is the longest commercial street in the country. Best explored on foot, it a bustling mix of restaurants, bars, cafes and pub. It also has a plethora of venues that host big name artists. This neighborhood is one of the best to find a room for rent in Denver and enjoy the action.
Average rent in Denver
|Rooms for Rent in Denver||Average Price|
|1 Bedroom Apartment in Denver||$894|
|2 Bedroom Apartment in Denver||$1,938|
|3 Bedroom Apartment in Denver||$2,518|
University life in Denver
Denver can be a great place to study if you enjoy fast-paced city life. Denver has great options if you plan to study business or engineering. With its scenic views and liberal thinking spaces, it can be a great place to get your degree. You can find on-campus accommodation or rooms for rent in Denver Colorado. Here are the average living costs in Denver.
|Particulars||Costs per month|
While these numbers may seem high, sharing a room with a roommate can help you lower the costs. You can also find a basement apartment for rent in Denver on the cheap. Eating at home and cooking yourself can also help you save on food.
Here is a list of some of the best Universities in Denver!
- University of Denver
- University of Colorado Denver
- MSU Denver
- Colorado Christian University
- Colorado School of Mines
How transit friendly is Denver?
While Denver is not the best city in terms of walkability, you can definitely get around walking downtown and in some neighborhoods. This may be something to keep in mind while finding rooms for rent in Denver. The streets that run from East to West are numbered and streets running from North to South are named. However, Downtown with its diagonal streets can be more confusing. When it comes to public transportation, here are your options.
1. Light rail in Denver
The Denver light rail can get you to and from most metropolitan areas. Make sure to check routes while looking for rooms for rent in Denver. There are also commuter rail lines to Arvada, Wheat Ridge, Westminster, and Denver International Airport.
2. Buses in Denver
The RTD Buses are the backbone of Denver’s transportation system. They are $2.60 for a one-way local trip. Local routes are denoted by a number and crisscross the city at regular intervals. There are also ‘Limited’ buses that stop less frequently on major arteries like Colfax and Colorado Boulevard.
3. Taxis in Denver
Taxis are easily available in Denver and can be useful if you are looking for apartments for rent in Denver in areas that are a bit out of the way. Ridesharing apps like Uber and Lyft are also great options to get around. The basic fee for a taxi is $3.50 and the kilometer price is $2.80. For standing and waiting time, $30.00 is charged per hour.
4. Cycling in Denver
The League of American Bicyclists has rated Colorado as the sixth most bicycle-friendly state. Denver has a large network of bike trails leading all over the city. Trails are usually marked and are sometimes dedicated or run alongside traffic. Cycling can be great to save and cut commute time if you are looking for rooms to rent in Denver.
Cultural activities in Denver
Once you find yourself a room for rent in Denver, it is time to learn a bit more about the place. Here are some great cultural activities in Denver that can help you learn about the culture and have fun!
- Black American West Museum & Heritage Center: A museum dedicated to the contributions of Black pioneers in the Old West.
- Denver Art Museum: A huge museum with exhibits from across the world.
- Museum of Contemporary Art Denver: An innovative museum with workshops, films, lectures, and a relaxing, open environment. Also, visit the roof deck that offers a 360-degree view of Denver.
Dining in Denver
Denver embraces its cultural diversity with a wide range of ethnic restaurants and cuisines. If you plan to live here and find rooms for rent in Denver, you will have an abundance of options. Here are some great joints to visit.
- Leela European Cafe: A bar, coffeehouse, and cafe with great Italian options. Leela is also a favorite with the University crowd.
- Glazed & Confuzed Donuts: Standout, fresh donuts with many unique and delicious flavors.
- Heaven Dragon: A Chinese restaurant that offers the best food at an affordable price.
Other blogs you might find interesting: