Dumbo, short for Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass, is a neighborhood in Brooklyn, New York City. Originally a ferry landing, the area is characterized by industrial or storage buildings and Belgian block streets. Dumbo has also earned the name “the center of the Brooklyn Tech Triangle” due to the concentration of tech startups in the area. If you are looking for rooms for rent in Dumbo, read on to learn everything you need to know in one place!
Where is Dumbo?
Dumbo falls under the Brooklyn Community Board 2 and is roughly divided into two sections. The first of these is located between the Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridges, which connect Brooklyn to Manhattan. And the second section extends East from the Manhattan Bridge to the Vinegar Hill area. Dumbo falls in the middle of Brooklyn Bridge Park to the North, Brooklyn Heights to the South, Brooklyn Bridge to the West, and Vinegar Hill to the East.
Find rooms for rent in Dumbo
If you are searching for rooms for rent in Dumbo, you will find an abundance of luxurious apartments and lofts. Plenty of options are available since old warehouses and industrial buildings are being turned into housing. However, remember that the average rent in Dumbo can be high due to the concentration of tech startups and its proximity to Manhattan.
Average rent in Dumbo
|Rooms for rent in Dumbo||Average Rent|
|1 Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Dumbo||$2,060|
|2 Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Dumbo||$4,110|
|3 Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Dumbo||$4,120|
Is Dumbo safe?
Dumbo is known to be one of the safest neighborhoods in the Brooklyn area. If you are moving to Dumbo and want to learn about the safety of the area, here are some handy resources:
- Areavibes: Areavibes is a great, free website that provides information on livability, safety, crimes, cost of living, etc. It sources this information from residents and could be your new best friend when you’re searching for rooms for rent in Dumbo.
- Niche: Niche is another great website that provides you with reviews and information on a set neighborhood. If you’re planning a move to Dumbo, you can read reviews and insights from people already living in the area.
- Hotline numbers: Dumbo is served by the 84th Precinct of the New York Police Department. Dial 911 to reach the emergency services or police, while other non-emergency services can be reached on 311.
Public transit in Dumbo
With a walk score of 97 awarded by walkscore.com, Dumbo has amazing walkability. You can be assured of easily getting around on foot if you are searching for rooms for rent in Dumbo. A car or public transit will not be necessary for running errands.
2. Roads & Traffic
Roads in Dumbo are easy to navigate with the area laid out in a grid system, in line with most of the city. Traffic is not a major issue either, with only moderate congestion during rush hour. However, if you are using any of the bridges to commute, there can be more severe rush-hour congestion – so plan ahead!
3. Nearby Train Stations
Dumbo is easily accessible by the New York City Subway with stations located at York Street and High Street. The IND Sixth Avenue Line and the IND Eighth Avenue Line, respectively, go through these stops.
4. Nearby Bus Stops
Buses in Dumbo are operated by the MTA Regional Bus Operations which also operates all buses in the New York City Area. The B25, B67, and B69 route buses pass through Dumbo providing connectivity with the rest of the city.
Restaurants in Dumbo
1. Front Street Pizza
This pizza joint is one of the most popular restaurants in Dumbo and serves some of the best Italian dishes and fast food. With indoor and outdoor seating, pizza available by the slice, and delicious chicken wings, this place is a must-try. They also have vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free options available.
2. Cecconi’s Dumbo
This place serves only the finest Italian food in the area with waterfront views of the Manhattan Skyline. One of the most scenic restaurants in Dumbo, Cecconi’s is known for its hand-made pasta, seafood, and other Italian favorites. While more upscale and expensive, the price is justified, and dining here is a real treat!
As you can see, there is no shortage of excellent pizza restaurants in Dumbo. Juliana’s is not only known to have some of the best pizza in Brooklyn but is also one of the best restaurants in Brooklyn overall. Its heritage backs it up too, being started by Patsy Grimaldi, founder of legendary Grimaldi’s Pizzeria. Be sure to stop here early to avoid the crowd and grab their fresh and delicious choices of pizzas.
Parks in Dumbo
- Brooklyn Bridge Park: Designed by landscape architecture firm, Michael Van Valkenburgh Associates, this 85-acre park is located on the Brooklyn side of the East River. Located on the waterfront, the area was originally home to piers and cargo ship operations. If you want to unwind or entertain yourself, the Brooklyn Bridge Park has plenty of green space and attractions for you.
- Golconda Park: Golconda Park is a great recreational park if you are looking at rooms for rent in Dumbo and the surrounding areas. With a skate park, sports areas, and a great vibe, this place is a popular hangout point near Dumbo.
- Brooklyn Heights Promenade: Also known as the Esplanade, the Brooklyn Heights Promenade is a 1,826-foot long platform and pedestrian walkway. Offering views of Lower Manhattan’s skyline and the New York Harbor, this place is great for a run. The Esplanade is also a popular tourist viewpoint and photography spot.
Things to do in Dumbo
- Visit Washington Street: Take a photo at one of the most recognizable and popular photo locations in the world! This has become an Instagram favorite for a shot with the cobblestone streets, Manhattan Bridge, and the Empire State Building. You can’t miss this spot if you are searching for rooms for rent in Dumbo, or you’re just visiting.
- The Brooklyn Flea: A typical flea market, the Brooklyn Flea is a great spot to find some great deals or just window shop for hours. You can find anything from furniture, housewares, vintage clothing, and antiques to arts and crafts. Additionally, you can also grab a quick bite from the street food vendors there.
- The Klompching Gallery: Focusing on contemporary photography, it is a great place to view and purchase works by various extraordinary artists. Owned and operated by Debra Klomp Ching and Darren Ching, the gallery has quickly established itself since opening in 2007.
D’you know what else Roomi does outside of helping its readers find rooms for rent in Dumbo? With our ever-increasing lists of rooms and roommates across the world, we help you find your perfect match!