For centuries, names have been symbols of identity and the same is true of Hermosa Beach. Meaning “beauty” in Spanish, it’s clear to see how this stunning beach city got its name. While Hermosa Beach is easily the smallest of the South Bay towns, what it lacks in size, it makes up for in charm. No wonder it is a top destination for tourists and locals in California!
In this neighborhood guide, we’ll cover everything need to know before making your move to Hermosa. This includes how to find the best rooms for rent in Hermosa Beach, the average rent you can expect to pay, and the area’s top restaurants. So, why don’t we start from the top?
Related: Find Rooms For Rent in Los Angeles
Where is Hermosa Beach?
Just 45 minutes southwest of downtown Los Angeles, Hermosa Beach lies on the Pacific oceanfront. And, together with Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, and Torrance, it makes up the area’s South Bay. As a coastal city, Hermosa Beach lines up with the ocean for up to 2 miles, with 94 acres of public beach and 1.43 square miles of solid land.
From the atmosphere to the general outlay, it won’t take you long to fall in love with this beachside neighborhood. After that, you can start your search for rooms for rent in Hermosa Beach, so that you can enjoy the city on a more permanent basis!
Find Rooms For Rent in Hermosa Beach
With many rooms for rent in Hermosa Beach boasting views over the sparkling waterfront, you’ll be spoilt for choice here. From single studio apartments to lofts, townhouses and condos, you will find a variety of rooms for rent to suit your taste and budget. Hermosa Beach is an ethnically diverse neighborhood and a lot of the residents are young working professionals and families. The schools in the area are also very highly rated.
Average Rent in Hermosa Beach
Hermosa beach is a renter’s haven with up to 52% of the houses occupied by renters. Compared to other towns in the neighborhood, the average rent in Hermosa Beach is moderately priced. Check out the average rent for different property sizes below:
|Rooms for rent in Hermosa Beach||Average Rent|
|1 Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Hermosa Beach||$1,675|
|2 Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Hermosa Beach||$3,350|
|3 Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Hermosa Beach||$5,025|
Is Hermosa Beach Safe?
If you’re new in the area, you’re probably asking ‘Is Hermosa Beach Safe?’ Well, you don’t have to worry about that. Get access to all of the latest information when searching for rooms for rent in Hermosa Beach by using the following apps:
- AreaVibes: AreaVibes produces livability scores for any neighborhood based on certain qualities. Average weights are attached to each of the amenities, cost of living, safety rates, education, employment, housing, and weather to decide whether a particular area is livable.
- NextDoor: NextDoor keeps you up to date about what is happening, well, next door! With this private social network, you can share safety tips and report suspicious activities with your neighbors. Plus, if needs be, you can even arrange a babysitter at the last minute.
- AroundMe: AroundMe is an important app to use when searching for rooms for rent in Hermosa Beach. It shows your proximity to nearby hospitals, supermarkets, pharmacies, and more. It also gives you current prices, directions, details, and more to help you make a quick and informed choice.
- Hotline Numbers: Wherever you are, use 911 to report any emergencies. You can also report problematic issues like abandoned vehicles, road repairs and noise complaints, by calling 311.
Public Transit in Hermosa Beach
Hermosa Beach has an average Walk Score of 87 with about 20,000 residents. This means you can get to almost anywhere in the city on foot, thanks to the many sidewalks the city is constantly investing in.
2. Roads and Traffic:
Despite the small-town size, traffic is usually high in Hermosa Beach leaving the roads congested. If you do plan to drive around the area in your car, plan ahead and check the traffic updates.
3. Nearby Bus Station:
Buses 109 and 13 have transit routes that pass through Hermosa Beach. There are three bus stops; Hermosa Avenue & 11th Street (Southbound), Hermosa Avenue/ 11th Street, and Hermosa Av at 11th Street.
Related: Must-Read Books about Los Angeles
Restaurants in Hermosa Beach
If you like good food, then why not check out the city’s best restaurants while looking for rooms for rent in Hermosa Beach? Three restaurants that you are sure to return to for delicious meals time and again are listed below.
1. La Playita
Love Mexican food? Then you’ll love this tasty restaurant in Hermosa Beach. You can’t go wrong with the classic Mexican dishes and sweet desserts here. Plus, you can make the most of their outdoor patio and enjoy a cool evening breeze blowing across your face after a long day.
2. Martha’s Hermosa Beach
Martha’s may very well be a small space, but the locals love it and just keep coming back! The restaurant also has an outdoor patio, scrumptious vegetarian options and if you’re short on time, you can order takeout instead.
3. Paisanos Pizza & Pasta
With Paisanos, you get to enjoy New York-style pizza in California. From thin-crusts to Sicilian pies, fresh pasta, calzones and subs, there’s something for everyone here. The pizzeria also offers takeout services for days you don’t feel like cooking.
Parks in Hermosa Beach
- Valley Park: The largest and most widely used park in Hermosa Beach, Valley Park is located just off Valley Drive and Gould Avenue. It has everything from a basketball court to a fire pit, a large grassy field, and a children’s playground. It’s also the chosen venue for different seasonal events in the area, so you’ll never tire of fun things to do in this park. Who knows what event you might catch on your visit.
- South Park: This recently renovated park has everything from a community garden to a facility or space rentals, free parking, meeting rooms, picnic tables, playfield(s), a playground and restrooms. A visit to the neighborhood without going to South Park is certainly not complete. So, why not stop by during your hunt for rooms for rent in Hermosa Beach?
Recreational Activities in Hermosa Beach
Volleyball tops the list of recreational activities in Hermosa Beach. Infant, the city is home to the AVP Hermosa Beach Open tournament and several amateur volleyball tournaments during the year.
Additionally, it is common to find joggers, walkers, and bikers taking advantage of the area’s woodchip trails and natural landscape.
Surfing is another common recreational activity (not surprising in this area, is it?). In fact, Hermosa Beach is the center of surfing in the entire South Bay. Whether you’re a beginner or an advanced surfer, you’re sure to enjoy it here. The city also hosts an annual surf festival if you’d like to compete!
Whatever your interests and whichever property you choose when searching for rooms for rent in Hermosa Beach, we’re certain you’ll love it here. From admiring the view out of your windows to taking in the fresh sea air on an evening stroll, Hermosa Beach is a great place to live if you love the coast.
Do you know what else Roomi does outside of helping its readers find rooms for rent in Hermosa Beach? With our ever-increasing lists of rooms and roommates across the world, we help you find your perfect match!