Kansas City is the largest city in Missouri in terms of population and area. It is also the making 38th most-populous city in the United States with a population of 495,327. Most of Kansas City lies within Jackson County, with some parts in Clay, Cass, and Platte counties. It is also the most populated municipality, and core of the Kansas City metropolitan area. If you are looking for rooms for rent in Kansas City, here is all you need to know. From average rent in Kansas City to the best neighborhoods, we have you covered.
Getting to know Kansas City
Kansas City was officially recognized as a town on June 1, 1850, and as a city on March 28, 1853. Étienne de Veniard, Sieur de Bourgmont was the first European visitor and explorer to arrive. Kansas City lies between Missouri and Kansas at the confluence of the Kansas and Missouri rivers. Hence its location was seen as ideal for a settlement. If you are looking for rooms for rent in Kansas City, keep in mind it experiences a continental climate. As there are no major water bodies nearby, it experiences extreme hot and cold swings throughout the year.
Finding rooms for rent in Kansas City
Kansas City is unique in the fact that it is divided down the middle by the state line of Kansas and Missouri. It is also officially nicknamed the “City of Fountains” and is said to have more fountains than any other city than Rome. Also, not exactly a tourist hotspot, Kansas can be a beautiful city to live in with all its views. All of this makes it a great choice if you are looking for rooms for rent in Kansas City. Here is a guide to a few neighborhoods where you can find cheap rooms in Kansas City, and the average rent in Kansas City.
Top neighborhoods in Kansas City
- Westside: Westside is a multiracial, multicultural and diverse neighborhood. There is also a variety of architecture with old and renovated homes and newer apartments. The median age of residents here is late 20s to early 30s. This makes Westside great for young professionals and students to find rooms for rent in Kansas City.
- River Market: River Market is another popular choice among young professionals and students. With great walkability, you can find almost anything they need for daily life in walking distance. It is also home to the Italian neighborhood of Columbus Park and the Farmer’s Market. River Market is a great place to find cheap rooms in Kansas City.
- Brookside: Brookside is a great suburban option for people of all ages and walks of life. It is home to shopping area, coffee shops, restaurants, and much more. It also has great walkability and many specialty markets. All of this makes Brookside a great place if you enjoy suburban life and are looking for rooms for rent in Kansas City.
Average rent in Kansas City
|Rooms for rent in Kansas City||Average Rent|
|1 Bedroom Apartment in Kansas City||$713|
|2 Bedroom Apartment in Kansas City||$1,548|
|3 Bedroom Apartment in Kansas City||$2,013|
Average costs of living in Kansas City
|Particulars||Cost per month|
University life in Kansas City
Kansas City can be a great place to study if you enjoy suburban, fast-paced city life. There are great options for higher education or research as well too. You can easily find cheap rooms in Kansas City as a student or even take up campus accommodation. Here are the living costs and the average rent in Kansas City.
Top Universities in Kansas City
- University of Missouri-Kansas City: Volker Campus
- Rockhurst University
- Donnelly College
- City Vision University
- DeVry University
How transit-friendly is Kansas City?
1. Buses in Kansas City
The Metro bus service is helpful to get around the urban core and most of the tourist destinations. The MAX (Metro Area Express) buses also help you easily get around downtown and other major spots. The standard fare is $1.50/trip with transfers available up to 2 hours. A day pass can also be purchased for $3 and is good for local service. If you are looking for rooms for rent in Kansas City you can check the availability of buses online.
2. Taxis in Kansas City
You can easily use taxis in Kansas and they are generally safe and inexpensive. However, you can find difficulties finding one in some places. Hence it is advisable to book one in advance. Ride-sharing apps like Uber and Lyft are also available. They can be great if you are looking for rooms for rent in Kansas City in an out-of-the-way area.
Taxi rates in Kansas City
|Taxi Rates for||Cost|
|Taxi 1 hour Waiting (Normal Tariff)||$42.00|
|Taxi Start (Normal Tariff)||$2.50|
|Taxi 1km (Normal Tariff)||$1.31|
3. Streetcar in Kansas City
The streetcar in Kansas City is free but slow to ride. It runs from north to south and links Union Station with the popular River Market district. Streetcars run every 10-15 minutes from morning to evening, with extended services on weekends. Routes and timings can be found on their website.
4. Walking in Kansas City
Most areas of Downtown and the tourist areas are accessible on foot. If you live in one of these areas or are out exploring, you can easily make it around without transportation. The city is fairly easy and safe to explore and you can scout areas if you are looking for cheap rooms in Kansas City.
Cultural Activities in Kansas City
- One Kansas City Place: The tallest building in the city and the state, and a popular attraction. Located downtown, the building walls are entirely black glass and the top has a light ring visible at night. You can find the best views of downtown and the city here!
- Union Station: The second largest train station in the country and an Amtrak train stop. The Union Station houses a visitor center, theatres, restaurants, shops, and more. An architectural marvel and hub of activity.
- U.S. National WWI Museum and Memorial: The country’s leading museum dedicated to documenting, interpreting, and understanding the Great War. Great for history buffs and a must-visit if you are looking for rooms for rent in Kansas City and are settling here.
Dining in Kansas City
- Joe’s Kansas City: They call themselves the best barbeque restaurant in Kansas City and offer some of the best food you can find. Pulled pork, ribs and sandwiches are the main specialties here.
- Jess & Jim’s Steakhouse: This steakhouse has been called of the nation’s top steakhouses by USA Today. They specialise in traditional Kansas steaks and are a local favourite. Former US President Bill Clinton is also known to stop by when he’s in town.
- Carmen’s Cafe: Carmen’s specializes in tapas, pasta, and Latin-Italian style food. Located in Brookside, it also serves up wine and cocktails and has a bar downstairs. It is reasonably priced and the food here is authentic and hard to beat.
D’you know what else Roomi does outside of helping its readers find rooms for rent in Kansas City? With our ever-increasing lists of rooms and roommates across the world, we help you find your perfect match! Download the app here and hop on the easiest ride home, ever!