As the second-largest city in Portugal, Porto is a major hub and the capital of Northern Portugal. It’s well known for its historic architecture and urban landscape. As a people-loving city, it’s the perfect place to enjoy festivals and events like the annual St. John Festival in June. Here you can sample local food and fairs while enjoying live concerts and street art.
Just moved to the city? If you’re looking for rooms for rent in Porto, explore our ultimate city guide to learn about the lifestyle, culture, and average rent in Porto!
Getting to Know Porto
The city of Porto is one of the oldest in Europe. It’s known for its wine, architecture, food, and laid-back attitude. Life in the city means being surrounded by natural beauty and delicious cuisine. In Porto, visiting the arts district downtown is an enlightening treat. The region has a typically oceanic climate with warm, humid summers and mild winters. It can be hard to find cheap rooms for rent in Porto, but with a little help, you can always find the most affordable rooms!
Finding rooms for rent in Porto
The city of Porto is home to more than 300,000 people and is the second-largest city in Portugal. Its metropolitan area houses 2 million residents and as a major economic center, it’s also one of the most important tourist destinations in Europe.
Even though finding rooms for rent in Porto can be easy, finding a room for rent within your budget can be hard. You’ll also want to find the perfect area to set up a home. But don’t worry, we’re here to help!
Top neighborhoods in Porto
- Ribeira: Ribera is one of the most charming and vibrant areas in Porto. The neighborhood has become a hotspot for art lovers looking for rooms for rent in Porto, due to its famous art scene.
- Baxia: Nested within the city center of Porto lies one of Portugal’s most picturesque neighborhoods. Baixa is a young and fun neighborhood in the historic center of Porto. It’s home to hundreds of shops and restaurants as well as some of the city’s most iconic landmarks.
- Miragaia: Miragaia is a small neighborhood in Porto, just south of the city. It has a thriving, young professional community, hip bars and restaurants are popping up every day. The area is packed with lots of antique shops and markets too. As a result, it’s a great place to find rooms for rent for university students!
Average rent in Porto
|Rooms For Rent In Porto||Average Rent|
|Studio Apartment For Rent In Porto||€602|
|1 Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Porto||€818|
|2 Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Porto||€1,560|
|3 Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Porto||€1,818|
|4 Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Porto||€1,760|
|5 Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Porto||€2,115|
|6 Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Porto||€2,412|
|7 Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Porto||€2,674|
|8+ Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Porto||€2,944|
University life in Porto
Studying away from home can be tough, but choose the right place and you’ll soon feel at home. The city of Porto is one of the most beautiful cities in Portugal, and it’s also a very affordable city to study in. At least by European standards! It provides a great lifestyle along with an amazing quality of education.
Here are the top 5 universities to check out!
- University of Porto
- Universidade Católica Portuguesa
- Lusíada University of Porto
- Instituto Politécnico do Porto
- Universidade Lusófona do Porto
Related: Types Of Roommates In College
How transit friendly is Porto
The Porto tramway network is an integral part of the public transport system of Porto. It is operated by the Sociedade de Transportes Colectivos do Porto (STCP) and is an affordable way to get around the city, with 3 routes to choose from. Why not try a tram ride when you’re looking for rooms for rent in Porto?
Metro do Porto an extremely efficient system to get around the city at an affordable price. The signage throughout stations and on trains is very clear and helpful. This makes it easy for tourists to get around with limited Portuguese language skills. There are also tons of shops and restaurants at stations to enjoy while you wait for your train.
The bus system in Porto is an excellent option for tourists, students, and locals. There are two types of buses in Porto, urban and interurban. Buses are an extremely affordable and efficient way to reach your destination and they make looking for cheap rooms for rent in Porto simple!
Cultural Activities in Porto
One of the key things to do in Porto is to take advantage of everything the city has to offer. Whether you’re looking for fun or culture, there’s no shortage of incredible tourist attractions and events to keep you busy. There’s always something exciting happening in the area!
1. Visit Livraria Lello Bookshop
Livraria Lello is a unique bookstore in Porto, Portugal. It’s a stunning example of detailed architecture and decor from another era. The store originally opened in 1881 and it’s become one of the most popular bookstores in Portugal thanks to its beautiful aesthetics. This bookshop is nothing less than a paradise for book lovers looking for rooms for rent in Porto.
2. Visit Casa da Música
The Casa da Música is a striking multi-purpose arts center that combines art and music within one spectacular space. With its unique architecture and in-house symphony orchestra, it has become a symbol of both culture and music in Porto.
3. Visit the Foz do Douro
The river Douro is a remarkable place if you are looking to spend some time off the beaten track. Escape the crowds of the city center and explore this relaxing waterfront with views over the coast. Especially scenic is the part known as Foz do the Douro, or “Foot of the Douro”.
Restaurants in Porto
If you’re a foodie or wine connoisseur, it’s likely that Porto is already on your radar. The city has long been considered one of Portugal’s gems when it comes to tasty cuisine. So much so, Porto has become a hot destination for anyone looking for an unforgettable culinary experience.
- Restaurante Casario: Casario is a restaurant in Porto that serves traditional Portuguese cuisine with a modern twist. Their exclusive venue is decorated with wood panels and has an intimate atmosphere that is ideal for special occasions. It’s also popular for business meetings too.
- Mito: this restaurant has one of the best views in Porto and serves up a delicious mix of Tapas and Portuguese seafood dishes. Mito is a fantastic choice for anyone looking for a romantic dinner for two. It’s also a good spot to stop when you’re out looking for cheap rooms for rent in Porto with friends.
- Farinha: this is the perfect place to get a taste of Portugal’s culinary heritage. Whether you’re looking for a hearty lunch or an unforgettable dinner out, Farinha has it all. We highly recommend the mouth-watering pizzas!
Do you know what else Roomi does outside of helping its readers find rooms for rent in Porto? With our ever-increasing lists of rooms and roommates across the world, we help you find your perfect match!