Located in Essex County on Massachusetts’ North Shore, Salem is a city full of rich history and culture. The “Witch City” is full of historic charm from its architectural wonders to its literary legends. The city also has lots of clubs and activities to get involved in, especially if you’re a student because there is something for everyone here! If you’re looking to live in a gorgeous place with a great sense of community, then you should try looking for rooms for rent in Salem. And we’re here to help you with that through this ultimate city guide for Salem!
Getting to Know Salem
The city sits on the coast of Massachusetts, bordering the North Shore of Boston. One of the best things about living in Salem is its proximity to Boston without its high cost of living. And, it’s also easier to find rooms for rent in Salem. Life here is an adventure as it is home to the infamous witch trials.) and fertile ground for artistic expression. The history has left behind a unique and diverse community to be explored!
Finding rooms for rent in Salem
Finding a new place to live can be hard, but we will definitely make the process of finding rooms for rent in Salem much easier! The city is near all basic amenities and will be the ideal place for you if you’re looking for great city life. Life in Salem is synonymous with a variety of entertainment, dining, and lots of adventure!
Top Neighborhoods to find a room in Salem
- Salem Necks: A quaint coastal town just south of Virginia Beach, Salem Neck prides itself on its rich history and spectacular views. It’s a great place to live for those who are drawn to natural beauty and proximity to historic sites!
- North Salem: North Salem has been able to stay ahead of the curve when it comes to making sure that residents can enjoy modern conveniences. If you like a neighborhood that’s peaceful, yet has easier access to city life, then you should give this little town a shot!
- Morningside: The neighborhood’s pretty quiet and most of the houses are from the ’50s or ’60s. You’ll find affordable rooms for rent in Salem in this neighborhood. Additionally, it also has a variety of parks, eateries, stores, and pubs, which gives you the finesse you’re looking for!
Average Rent in Salem
|Rooms For Rent In Salem||Average Rent|
|1 Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Salem||$920|
|2 Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Salem||$1,840|
|3 Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Salem||$2,760|
University Life in Salem
Life in a city filled with adventure and history, along with great options for entertainment, is the best choice for college students to enjoy their university life to the fullest. If you agree, then use this city guide for Salem to make sure you make the right decision. Here are the top 5 universities to check out!
- Salem State University
- Boston University
- Montserrat College of Art
- North Shore Community College
- Lesley University
How transit-friendly is Salem
You can get around the city without having to get behind the wheel. The city has efficient taxi services including Uber and Lyft, which makes traveling hassle-free and comfortable. Whether you’re a visitor or a resident, taxis in Salem are always reliable and the best way to travel.
With a walkability score of 98 out of 100, the city can be defined as a walker’s paradise. Exploring the city on foot is something that everyone enjoys and you can test the walkability of the neighborhood yourself when you’re looking for rooms for rent in Salem.
The bus service here is pretty good! If you don’t have a car, then you wouldn’t feel the need for one after getting used to the buses. There are more frequent buses if you download their app, which is convenient. Plus, they have discounts that can be used when buying tickets.
4. Salem Trolley
We believe in saving the best for last. And the Salem Trolley is definitely the best and the most fun way to get around the city. It’s very convenient, especially if you don’t have a car or bike.
Cultural Activities in Salem
It doesn’t matter if you’re interested in history or not. There’s no shortage of fun and educational activities for visitors in Salem. There’ll be something that appeals to everyone on this city guide for Salem. So, take a look at this list of cool things to do when you visit the Witch City!
1. Salem Witch Museum
The most popular attraction of the city, the Salem Witch Museum, claims to be one of America’s strangest. It seems like a morbid place for children… but children love it! There is a witch testimony room and an old-fashioned cemetery where they have built life-size statues of the victims of the Witch Trials.
2. Salem Willows
Whether your favorite form of entertainment is attending a concert or museum outing, the Salem Willows is the perfect location for enjoying an array of cultural activities. The lakeside park hosts concerts, children’s shows, and events. You will also see dance performances, arts and crafts festivals, and more here.
3. Peabody Essex Museum
The Peabody Essex Museum is a must-visit destination in the historic seaport city. Located in the heart of downtown, this museum showcases an impressive collection of art from around the world and focuses on preserving our nation’s maritime history.
Restaurants in Salem
From American to Vietnamese to Indian cuisine, you’re sure to find something that suits your taste buds. With so many great restaurants, it might be hard to choose. But don’t worry: you can rely on this city guide for Salem to find great eateries for when you’re in the city.
- Finz Seafood and Grill: When you walk into Finz Seafood and Grill, you’re immediately transported to a relaxed coastal dining experience by the decor alone. Then there’s the food that takes seafood meals to new heights!
- Koto Asian Grill: Koto Asian Grill is an Asian fusion restaurant that has a modern take on American-style Asian food. They have a wide selection of both sushi and hibachi cuisine. They offer not only delicious food, but also great service that never disappoints.
- Adriatic: If you’re looking for a complete dining experience downtown, then the Adriatic is your place! They offer a wide wine selection to complement every dish on their menu. Also, they take pride in offering fresh seafood such as tuna or salmon along with many other delicious options.
D’you know what else Roomi does outside of helping its readers find rooms for rent in Salem? With our ever-increasing lists of rooms and roommates across the world, we help you find your perfect match!