If you want the cool city vibe of LA but long for the small-town charm of suburbia, then you’ll love Sherman Oaks. It’s like a mini downtown LA with all the comforts of urban living, plus the occasional celeb spotting at a restaurant or fitness center. The neighborhood was also featured in a TV series of the same name which ran from 1995 to 1997.
Related: 15 Best Things To Do In Sherman Oaks
Where is Sherman Oaks?
Sherman Oaks lies in California’s San Fernando Valley. It’s bounded by Van Nuys to the north, Encino to the west, the Beverly Hills Post Office to the south, and Studio City to the east. One of its most popular landmarks is Sherman Oaks Castle Park, San Fernando Valley’s premier family entertainment center.
Find Rooms For Rent in Sherman Oaks, LA
When the LA aqueduct was constructed in 1913, people began to move to the area. In 1927, American land developer Gen. Moses Hazeltine Sherman subdivided 1,000 acres of farmland into what would later become the town of Sherman Oaks. Today, it’s a colorful and affluent neighborhood made up of a mix of attractive residential and commercial complexes. This is just something to consider as you look for rooms for rent in Sherman Oaks, LA.
Average Rent in Sherman Oaks, California
The average rent in Sherman Oaks, California is considerably higher than in other LA neighborhoods, such as Van Nuys, Westlake, or Northridge. The most commonly available spaces for rent are one-bedroom apartments. Residents will find themselves in a quiet neighborhood with lots of good restaurants and shops just a stone’s throw away. While looking for rooms for rent in Sherman Oaks, LA, you’ll stumble across single-family houses built during Hollywood’s golden age, the 1930s. No wonder the average rent in Sherman Oaks, CA, is more expensive! With so many restaurants, shops, and schools nearby, it’s a fantastic place for both families and students to live. Here’s a snapshot of the average rent in Sherman Oaks, California:
|Rooms for rent in Sherman Oaks, LA||Average Rent|
|1 Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Sherman Oaks||$1,142|
|2 Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Sherman Oaks||$2,284|
|3 Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Sherman Oaks||$3,501|
Is Sherman Oaks safe?
Sherman Oaks has an average crime rate that is lower than most of its surrounding neighborhoods in LA. The rate of crime tends to vary depending on which part of Sherman Oaks you are in. Naturally, as you look for rooms for rent in Sherman Oaks, LA, you will want to make sure the area you are thinking of living in is safe and secure. Below are some helpful tools so you can learn more about the area.
- AreaVibes: AreaVibes generates a livability score based on a one-of-a-kind algorithm that takes into account a specific location’s qualities. These include data such as its amenities, the cost of living, its employment and safety rates, and the schools in the area. It’s a helpful site to bookmark as you search for rooms for rent in Sherman Oaks, LA.
- AroundMe: While searching rooms for rent in Sherman Oaks, LA, try AroundMe, an app that locates nearby banks, gas stations, or restaurants. It’s a navigation tool that allows you to easily search for relevant establishments in the area.
- Niche: Niche helps connect people to neighborhoods and workplaces. It also has a profile on each college and school in the U.S., making it a go-to resource for families and students.
- Hotline Numbers: If you feel you are in danger, call 911 or the local emergency number immediately. Some examples of emergencies are a car crash, a crime, a fire, or a medical emergency. For non-emergencies, such as complaints, reporting graffiti or road damage, or simply making an inquiry about a service, call 311 instead.
Public Transit in Sherman Oaks
As you look for rooms for rent in Sherman Oaks, LA, note that it’s LA’s 62nd most walkable neighborhood. With this Walk Score, you will only be able to perform some of your daily errands on foot.
Roads & Traffic
If you’re driving, expect heavy traffic at Ventura Boulevard, one of LA’s busiest thoroughfares. It gets pretty congested here on weekdays, especially during rush hour.
Nearby Train Stations
Driving is mostly how people get around in Sherman Oaks. While public transportation options are available, you should be aware that these are limited. The nearest train stations include the Van Nuys Orange Line Station, LADOT Commuter Express, and North Hollywood Metro Station.
Nearby Bus Stops
Hop on either the 240 or the 761 bus to get around Sherman Oaks. The nearest bus stations are Ventura/Beverly Glen, Ventura/Van Nuys, Van Nuys/Ventura, and Moonpark St. & Hazeltine Ave. Westbound.
Restaurants in Sherman Oaks
The different restaurants in Sherman Oaks serve food from all over the world. Most of the popular establishments are located along LA’s Ventura Boulevard. Here are a few of the best restaurants in Sherman Oaks.
1. Gangadin Indian
If you’re hankering for some authentic Indian food, then head on over to Gangadin Indian in Sherman Oaks’s Studio City. Sink your teeth into mouthwatering tikka, chicken biryani, or tandoori chapati.
2. The Front Yard
The Front Yard feels just like your neighbor’s backyard, which is why it’s always a popular haunt for Sherman Oaks locals. This casual dining restaurant serves an assortment of distinctly LA-inspired creations, like Noho Omelet, the Social Chicken Sandwich, or the Niman Ranch Pork Chop. Everything’s good for sharing, so why not bring along a friend or two?
3. The Local Peasant – Sherman Oaks
Diners can’t stop raving about the steak fries at The Local Peasant, an American gastropub located along Ventura Boulevard. Other favorites include their fried chicken sandwich, tuna ceviche, and a hot toddy. Add this to your list of the best restaurants in Sherman Oaks, LA.
Parks in Sherman Oaks
- Van Nuys/Sherman Oaks Recreation Center: This park is referred to as a “universal access playground,” meaning kids of all abilities can play side by side. Its amenities include a soccer field, baseball diamond, tennis courts, and picnic tables for quality bonding with family and friends.
- Dixie Canyon Park: This 20-acre park is nestled within a California black walnut and live oak woodland in the San Fernando Valley. Parkgoers can enjoy its hiking-only trail and get away from the hustle and bustle of the city.
- Deervale-Stone Canyon Park: This park offers a combination of hiking, running, walking, and mountain biking trails, all over 2.9 kilometers long. Here, you will see beautiful views of the San Fernando Valley, and you might even be able to spot some local wildlife.
Sitcoms Shot In Sherman Oaks
The Brady Bunch
There’s nothing like stepping onto the set of a sitcom that you grew up watching. Visit the Brady Bunch house and feel like a part of Mike, Carol, or Marcia’s family in the 1960s.
Will & Grace
The story of best friends Will Truman and Grace Adler **was filmed in CBS Studio Center. It’s a pretty magical feeling to be transported into your favorite sitcom’s fictional setting.
That ’70s Show
Another show filmed in the CBS Studio Center was That ’70s Show. It revolved around the lives of teens played by Ashton Kutcher, Mila Kunis, and Topher Grace. The show ran for a whopping eight seasons, from 1998 to 2006.
We hope this article has helped you learn more about Sherman Oaks. Taking into account the best things to do and places to go to the average rent in Sherman Oaks, CA, you’ll surely find this neighborhood a vibrant area to consider moving to. Happy room hunting!
Do you know what else Roomi does outside of helping its readers find rooms for rent in Sherman Oaks, LA? With our ever-increasing lists of rooms and roommates across the world, we’ll help you find your perfect match!