Ever since the pandemic hit, more people have ditched their full-time jobs to work from home. But after a point, even WFH-ing becomes boring, right? And that’s why becoming a digital nomad could be a great step forward.
A digital nomad is any traveler who earns from the internet. Between 2018 to 2020, the digital nomad population in the US doubled up. And as the pandemic made people realize that work is not restricted to their offices, they’re choosing to make the most out of it! Want in? This blog will tell you how to become a digital nomad with some extra special tips and advice!
Why Becoming a Digital Nomad is so Thrilling in 2022
Once upon a time, it was a fantasy to get to work and travel. With the modern internet facilities available today, living remotely is practical and fun. Becoming a digital nomad is super exciting but it also comes with its own challenges. Still on the fence? Here are some of the top reasons why becoming a digital nomad in 2022 could be an amazing move for you:
- There’s something new to explore every day! The chance to visit new places and try new things means no two days are ever the same.
- You will meet new people and also develop unique skills. You may even make lifelong connections and have some unforgettable experiences.
- As you explore the world and new people, you will grow as a person, become more adaptable, and adopt a positive view of the world in general.
Feeling pumped up? Now, let’s look at how you can achieve an amazing lifestyle as a digital nomad in 2022!
How to Become a Digital Nomad in 4 Steps
Let’s make it clear that there is no one roadmap to a successful digital nomad lifestyle. Becoming a digital nomad is a unique journey for everyone. Your personal skills and the country you move to will shape your route into this life. To help, here are 4 key steps to help you achieve a more comfortable journey towards your digital nomad lifestyle.
1. Join a community of digital nomads
Living in the era of Instagram and Facebook, you’ve probably already got some digital nomads in your network. The first step is to follow their YouTube channels and start making notes!
You can also find digital nomad communities on Facebook groups and Reddit. Join pages and groups that are specific to your preferred locations. This will give you some practical tips and advice to use in your journey. Online communities will really help in finding specific information- like where to live on a budget and where to find healthy, cheap food.
2. Get a location-independent job
Unless your boss allows you to work remotely, it’s time to find a new job! Working as a digital nomad, you will rely completely on the internet. With no fixed location or hours, you must develop the skill of self-discipline to stick to work. Having said that, you must find a job that won’t restrict you to one place. Here are some tips and ideas to help you start:
- Identify your skills – Whether you’re a recent graduate or a working professional, working remotely while traveling can be so liberating. So, figure out the top skills that you can monetize online while becoming a digital nomad. Writing, planning, teaching, or managing – anything can come in handy. You can be a content creator, a virtual assistant, an online teacher, and so much more!
- Start freelancing – A lot of work can be done as a freelancer. Whether you are a graphic designer, a photographer, or a content writer, freelancing is one of the best ways to earn online. Create your profile on freelance websites like Upwork or Fiverr. Building a good portfolio will help you get better-paying clients. That means more money to do cool things as you travel!
- Create an independent business – If you love the thought of being your own boss, why not start your own online business? From e-commerce brands to content agencies, almost everything can be managed online. You could hire freelancers online from all over the world and scale up your business too.
3. Plan the logistics of your nomadic lifestyle
Living remotely and working on your own hours all sounds great. But with so much flexibility, there are always chances for things to go wrong. Planning the logistics of a nomadic lifestyle can involve a variety of things:
- Banking, taxes, and finances– When becoming a digital nomad, you must keep a tab on your finances and banking methods. Choose a good credit card company that can help you no matter where you are. When you are paying taxes and traveling between nations, you may have to hire a good accountant to avoid blunders.
- Wifi, VPN, and mobile facilities– If you are working remotely while traveling, fast internet is a must. Whether you choose to live in an Airbnb in a remote area or visit a popular cafe, the wifi should be a primary concern. Get a good VPN provider so that you can access different networks irrespective of your actual location. Virtual mobile numbers are also very useful to stay connected.
- Emergency backups and insurance– When you are visiting new places, you cannot ignore that things can go wrong once in a while. Travel insurance is very handy (and usually mandatory) when you’re traveling abroad. Get good health insurance that offers good security as a digital nomad. Do set up an emergency fund that can help you in any type of crisis, too.
- Getting around and finding accommodation– Finally, research the places that you are moving to. Look up all the details about transportation networks and good accommodation. As a digital nomad, you will mainly rely on the public transportation system or rented vehicle companies. Wherever you choose to live, it should ideally be well-connected and include the amenities you need to live comfortably.
⭐ Having apps like Roomi can be a great way to find affordable housing solutions around the world. Whether you want to rent a new place or live with roommates, find some of the best options with Roomi.
4. Pick your first destination and go!
When becoming a digital nomad, you must be careful about picking your locations. Don’t just close your eyes and point to a map! Whether you want to stay in your country or go to some exotic location, think realistically.
Start by making a list of all the locations that you want to visit. Find out the cost of living, transportation, and accommodation options. Don’t forget to make a note of the climate and seasons. If everything fits your plan and budget, go ahead and book your tickets before you change your mind!
Begin your Digital Nomad Life with the Right Resources!
Becoming a digital nomad is all about being resourceful. As challenging as it is, you will come across some rewarding experiences that will be worth the effort.
Talking about getting the right resources, Roomi is a handy platform that can help you find the best co-living solutions. As a digital nomad, you can choose to live with people to save expenses. Roomi is a safe and secure platform where you can connect with people and find accommodation in multiple cities and countries. Explore it now to find your next home!
Roomi is your one-stop option to list or find rooms, find roommates to settle into a new city easily. Download the app and sign up today!