Dyker Heights is a neighborhood in Brooklyn, NYC that bears the motto: The Handsomest Suburb in Greater New York. They weren’t kidding. Dyker Heights, which is considered to be an ‘urban-suburban’ area, is one of the most convenient places you can live if you’re planning on moving to NYC. Here is a guide on important things you need to know—ranging from the average rent in Dyker Heights to its high-quality restaurants.
Where is Dyker Heights?
Dyker Heights is a neighborhood located Southwest of Brooklyn, one of New York City’s five boroughs. If you like a family-friendly and quiet environment, then Dyker Heights will not disappoint you. It is bordered by neighborhoods such as Bensonhurst, and Borough Park, also adding to the appeal of the neighborhood. Here’s a fun fact; if you’re searching for rooms for rent in Dyker Heights, then bring your Christmas lights— you’re in the ‘undisputed capital of Christmas pageantry’!
Find Rooms for Rent in Dyker Heights
Luxury housing conditions have been present in Dyker Heights since the late 19th century when it was reformed into a suburban community. About half of the inaugural homes built in Dyker Heights remain, and they have since been remodeled. The newer housing structures certainly have a better outlook and very unique characteristics.
Related: Should I move to New York City?
Average Rent in Dyker Heights
Dyker Heights mostly harbors Mediterranean condos and villas, but also has detached and semi-detached homes. This neighborhood is home to many families and young professionals, and most residents who live here rent their homes.
|Rooms for rent in Dyker Heights||Average Rent|
|1 Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Dyker Heights||$905|
|2 Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Dyker Heights||$1,810|
|3 Bedroom Apartment For Rent In Dyker Heights||$2,715|
Is Dyker Heights safe?
During your search for rooms for rent in Dyker Heights, you’ll definitely have questions about the safety of the neighborhood. However, Dyker Heights has been regarded as one of the safest places you can live in Brooklyn – even in the whole of NYC! Here are a few apps and websites that will provide you with all the safety information you need, and then some:
- AreaVibes: This website uses their livability score reports to rank over 45,000 cities in both the United States and Canada. It not only shows you the best places you can live, but provides information about its crime rates, amenities, transportation and more. This is definitely a great tool for you when looking for rooms for rent in Dyker Heights.
- AroundMe: When moving into a new neighbourhood, you have to make sure not to get lost or confused looking for certain areas. This is where this app comes in handy. AroundMe allows you to search for the nearest gas stations, banks, restaurants or hotels in your place of residence.
- Niche: This website carries the most comprehensive data on any neighborhood in the United States. Through their public data analysis and public surveys, they help you figure out the vital things you need to know about a neighborhood.
- Hotline Numbers: 911 and 311 are the probably the shortest and most important numbers you need to know if you’re a New York City resident. Calling 311 connects you to New York City hotlines, where you can report Iocal issues, and 911 is saved for emergencies.
Public Transit in Dyker Heights
Dyker Heights has a Walk Score of 90— a true Walker’s Paradise! Out of 243 neighborhoods in New York City, Dyker Heights is the 102nd most walkable neighborhood.
2. Roads and Traffic
Generally, Dyker Heights is a good bikeable area, and has good traffic flow, except during the Christmas period when festive lovers flock here.
3. Nearby Train Stations
You will not find train stations in Dyker Heights, but you can in its neighboring communities. The closest stations to Dyker Heights are: Bay Ridge Py/12 Av, 13 Av/Bay Ridge Py, and 71 St [D].
4. Nearby Bus Stops
Various local New York City Bus routes and express routes pass through Dyker Heights, and they are: B1, B4, B8, B16, B64, B70, X28, X38.
Restaurants in Dyker Heights
Good food makes everyone happy. So while looking to find rooms for rent in Dyker Heights, here are some restaurants to treat your tastebuds to.
1. Las Chelitas
This beautiful Mexican restaurant is one of the best restaurants in Dyker Heights. Their menu is filled with a variety of beautifully plated and delicious Mexican and Latin dishes.
Meze is a Mediterranean Greek restaurant in Brooklyn serving Greek delicacies. The menu is rich, offering its customers various choices like salads, entrees, desserts, Greek specialties and more.
3. Annabelle’s Pastaria
What a diverse neighborhood Dyker Heights is! Coupled with Greek and Mexican restaurants, you can find an Italian-inspired restaurant as well. This restaurant serves delicious Italian dishes and has been positively reviewed by customers.
Parks in Dyker Heights
- Dyker Beach Park: Dyker Beach Park is one of the most popular parks in Dyker Heights. That’s because it can accommodate everyone—cyclists, children, athletes, and even naturalists. It is home to the public Dyker Beach Golf Course. You can even enjoy a movie under the stars in this beautiful park.
- McKinley Park: This park is fun personified. McKinley Park is a good area for sports people, with its ball field, bleachers and bench seating. Find good cheer and great thrills after a long day in this park.
- Shore Road Park and Parkway: This recreational hike and bike path is a green space filled with sights of iconic NYC attractions like the Statue of Liberty and Coney Island.
Gyms Near Dyker Heights
This sports and fitness center offers residents the opportunity to lose weight and get healthy, with their high-quality equipment. They also organize fitness programs that give you exciting new ways to customize your workouts.
This is a great destination for fitness in Dyker Heights with unique interior designs and equipment. This gym has been going strong for thirty years, and will definitely suit your fitness needs.
Here, you can take personal training, private lessons, and one on one sessions with professionals. They offer programs such as boxing, kickboxing, and Zumba, to add a little spice to your workout!
This marks the end of this moving guide… happy searching!
D’you know what else Roomi does outside of helping its readers find rooms for rent in Dyker Heights, Brooklyn? With our ever-increasing lists of rooms and roommates across the world, we’ll help you find your perfect match!