Torrance is located in the Los Angeles metropolitan area of California. With pleasant weather and 1.5 miles of beaches, Torrance can be a great place to live – especially for lovers of the outdoors. Popular among retired individuals and professionals, it is located 21 miles southwest of downtown Los Angeles in a more quiet area. If you’re moving over there and want to know the best place to find rooms for rent in Torrance, CA, and more about the enviable Torrance lifestyle, then read on!
Related: Find Rooms For Rent In Westlake, LA
Getting to know Torrance, CA
What Torrance is today was originally a part of the Tongva Native American homeland. The city you see today was incorporated in 1921 and developed as a mixed industrial-residential community.
Being a coastal location, you’ll enjoy great weather if you are finding rooms for rent in Torrance, CA. It experiences a warm-summer Mediterranean climate, like much of the southern Los Angeles coast.
Torrance has a population of 143,592 according to the 2019 United States Census with a median age of 41.3 years. Residents are spread out over an area of 20.53 sq. miles with the city’s population density being 7,076.1 people per square mile.
Finding rooms for rent in Torrance, CA
While the average rent in Torrance, CA may be higher than the national average, it makes up for it with a peaceful, safe and beautiful environment. Torrance is bordered by Gardena and Lawndale to the North, Rolling Hills to the South, Lomita to the East, and the Pacific Ocean to the West.
If you are looking for rooms for rent in Torrance, CA your first step should be picking the right neighborhood. Shall we dive in together?
Top neighborhoods in Torrance, CA
- North Torrance: This is a great place to find rooms for rent in Torrance, CA. With a nice mix of shopping, dining, and entertainment options, the area is lively and well-connected to other parts of the city.
- West Torrance: West Torrance is a popular place to find rooms for rent in Torrance, CA for professionals and families. It is a quieter neighborhood with a mix of high-end and modest housing.
- Central: The Central area may come with a higher than average rent in Torrance, CA, but it offers great options for apartments and homes. Central Torrance has many options for shopping and entertainment and is perfect if you love the bustle of busy city life.
Average rent in Torrance, CA
|Rooms for rent in Torrance||Average rent|
|1 Bedroom Apartment for Rent in Torrance||$1,269|
|2 Bedroom Apartment for Rent in Torrance||$2,538|
|3 Bedroom Apartment for Rent in Torrance||$3,807|
University life in Torrance, CA
While there may not be too many options within Torrance, CA, it does offer a great quality of higher education. With many more well-regarded colleges located nearby, it makes sense for students to look for rooms for rent in Torrance, CA. Commuting to further colleges, however, can be an issue if you do not drive or live near a metro station.
Here are the top universities in Torrance, CA:
- El Camino College
- Marymount California University
- University of Southern California
- University of California, Los Angeles
- California State University Long Beach
Related: Find Rooms For Rent in Covina, CA
How transit-friendly is Torrance, CA?
With a walk score of 67 awarded by walkscore.com, Torrance, CA has acceptable walkability. If you are searching for rooms for rent in Torrance, CA, make sure that everything you need is within walking distance. While some areas are slightly inconvenient, some of the more walkable neighborhoods are Olde Torrance, Walteria, and Chatelaine.
With a bike score of 55 on walkscore.com, Torrance, CA is not ideal for cycling either. Most residents prefer to use other forms of transportation or drive cars instead. With not too many bike lanes or paths, it might be difficult to make your way around on a bicycle.
Torrance is serviced by the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) which is just 15 minutes away by road. If you are moving to the city to look for rooms for rent in Torrance, CA, flights to LAX are easily available. With LAX being a major hub and an international airport, air transportation is no concern in the city.
4. Public Transportation
Torrance, CA falls short in public transportation with most people driving their own cars. The Torrance Transit System (TTS) provides basic bus connectivity while the LA Metro also connects the city. Ride-sharing apps like Uber and Lyft are the best option if you are finding rooms for rent in Torrance, CA, especially in an out-of-the-way area.
Related: Find Rooms For Rent in Redondo Beach, CA
Restaurants in Torrance, CA
- Red Rock-Torrance: Established in 1989, this place is one of the best restaurants in Torrance, CA. With their award-winning Japanese style, sliced beef bowls are their specialty – cooked with their famous authentic methods.
- Veggie Grill: Serving up fresh and delicious vegetarian dishes, this place offers a variety of vegan options too. One of the restaurants in Torrance, CA to visit, its meat alternatives are healthy and delicious.
- The Local Kitchen: This American tavern is a local favorite and serves the best American dishes and snacks. With a wide-ranging menu, drink options, craft beer, and great atmosphere, this is a great spot to visit with your friends or roommates in Torrance, CA, and chill.
Do you know what else Roomi does outside of helping its readers find rooms for rent in Torrance, CA? With our ever-increasing lists of rooms and roommates across the world, we help you find your perfect match!